I was watching the Wheeler Dealers solve a water leak problem in a 1990s
Aston Martin.  The tech rented a smoke machine, closed it up inside the car
and watched for smoke leaving the car.  Sure enough, smoke came out of the
door seals' upper corners, leading to a quick diagnosis and cheap repair.

I think this machine could be used to diagnose the persistent leak that
drips on the brake pedal and douses the driver's door mat in my 1983
300TD.  I pretty much eliminated everything except a windshield leak, but I
can't find any wetness on base of the glass inside the car.

Has anyone heard of this machine?  is it available for rent like in the
U.K.?

Andrew

Pull out the windshield, repair the rust and put the windshield back with a new gasket. that is a common leak. You don't need a smoke generator for that. If you want a smoke generator, find your local beekeeper, or contact dadant in Hamilton, IL. They will sell you one.