I had two BILs who were pleasant easy-going young married men before WW-2. They came back with changed personalities; always ready to "take on" anyone who disagreed with them. They were moody and often disagreeable the rest of their lives.
 One was in a motor pool that got surrounded in the Battle of the Bulge.
All he would say was that he and his fellow mechanics were issued rifles and that the willingness of American troops to sacrifice themselves was all that saved them. There were around 100,000 American casualties and about 20,000 of those died. The other was in a Seabee bomb demolition group in the South Pacific. I don't remember how many were in the group originally but only nine survived. He had a psychological breakdown after the war from which he partially recovered. He was told never to take another drink and never to stop working at some sort of job; no matter how little it paid. He followed those suggestions but was never "normal" again.
Gerry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge
Craig wrote:
They had PTSD when no one knew what it was. I have heard of others who
would not talk about what they went through.
Here is the way the used to deal with PTSD:
projects.wsj.com/lobotomyfiles/?ch=two&mod=e2fb

It might still be appropriate, I don't know.  It certainly was less
expensive than the pharma and counsel that people receive today.
mao
Before the first major tranquilizer was discovered in the early 1950s, psychiatric hospitals were real "mad houses" with many "padded cells" containing patients who would scream and bang their heads against the walls night and day. Doctors had no drugs that would bring them back to some semblance of sanity. There was never any problem finding the psychiatric ward at local hospitals since the screaming went on night and day. Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) was truly a "miracle drug" for those patients when it became available. The screaming, head banging, and violent behaviour stopped for most of them and the wards became quiet. (Chlorpromazine turned out to have severe side effects, however. (Tardive diskinesia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardive_dyskinesia

Dr. Freemans advocacy of lobotomy was probably a forgiveable "sin" considering the state of severely affected mental patients before Chlorpromazine. Few people who had visited the psychiatric wards of state hospitals during the 1930s would disagree in my opinion. The major problem was the spreading of its use to patients were were not severely afflicted. Some post-lobotomy patients were interesting. They were irresponsible and could seldom hold down jobs. "What me worry" was their mantra if they were still capable of rational thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy#Criticism

Gerry