This has been discussed in the W140 conference over at Benzworld a bit.

Seems that the return spring just gets tired from age and use.

That being said, some people claim that by carefully spraying something like
WD40 on the sides of the retractor and operating it briskly will get it to work
again.

Haven't tried this one myself, but it's worth a try.

The alternative is replacement of the whole seat belt.

Dan

Sent from my iPad