On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

 What's so special about a VW Phaeton?

You're kidding, right?  Every car guy has to know about the Phaeton.  It's
VWAG's W140 combined with the original BMW 750iL, only more so.  Massively
overengineered, poorly marketed in the US, a sales flop, and incredibly
cheap on the used market but a total money pit unless you can DIY and buy
parts at wholesale.

Alex
_______
What the? is VW thinking, trying to make a fattylac? GM screwed them up plenty already. No wonder Vdubs are a POS anymore. They are supposed to be simple, folks cars, easy to work on, cheap to buy, cheap to own, cheap to operate, cheap to fix. That is part of why bugs were so popular.

The other part was because they dared to be different, had great advertising by DDB, emphasizing the differences, and they were so homely they were cute. "It was the only thing to do after the mule died" "Think small" I have a bunch of those ads I saved from my desk surroundings in college, along with toaster tank BMW ads and the MB 108 ad that was also brilliant. "some people think buying a house is the most important investment they will ever make"

A VW fattylac deserves to be a resounding flop.