They did, but the wiring is still marginal at best.  No relays in the lighting
circuits that I know of.

Feeding off the battery is fine, and electrically no different than if you went
to the alternator output terminal.  In the earlier models that had the battery
up front, I always went to the positive terminal of the battery.