Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:37:54 -0500
From: Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: My wi-fi router might be sick

BTW, I was having fits with my DSL  connection, which is mostly run
through wi-fi in the house.  The DSL modem could not hold a lock, I
would reboot it and it would go for awhile again.  Seemed to happen more
when it rained, which made me think the line was getting wet or
something.  I finally called ATT as they are always out in the road
messing with cables and such, I figured they had buggered something out
there.  The switching office is probably only 1/2mi from my house, so I
figure I should get good service.  I have moved some wires around in my
house addition work, but put stuff back together better than it was, so
that was not the issue.  Anyway, the guy came and determined that I had
no ground on the box their line came into.  I do not recall seeing any
ground when I was moving the box, or I would have hooked it up.  So he
upgraded the terminal box and ran a ground to my temp electric pole
ground, which has made the DSL rock solid since then, and the voice is
better too.  I guess I did not make that part better in my movings, but
had it been there I would have probably done the same thing he did.

So, that suggests that if you are having troubles, take a look at your
terminal box (or network interface or whatever they call it) where their
line matches up with house lines and make sure everything is connected
properly.

--R