On Jan 18, 2014 4:44 PM, "Craig" <diesel01
<diese...@pisquared.net>@<diese...@pisquared.net>
pisquared.net <diese...@pisquared.net>> wrote:

>      The main product of MikroTik is an operating system based on the
>      Linux kernel, known as the MikroTik RouterOS. Installed on the
>      company's proprietary hardware (RouterBOARD series), or on standard
>      x86-based computers, it turns a computer into a network router and
>      implements various additional features, such as firewalling, virtual
>      private network (VPN) service and client, bandwidth shaping and
>      quality of service, wireless access point functions and other
>      commonly used features when interconnecting networks. The system is
>      also able to serve as a captive-portal-based hotspot system.

If you are looking for this kind of functionality, DDWRT and OpenWRT are
better known, and will let you use a vast array of easily available
embedded systems.  Newegg even lists DDWRT compatibility as a feature.
Embedded systems use less power, and to be frank most of the wireless
drivers for access point tasks are more reliable on ARM platforms than on
x86.

I bought a refurb Asus 11n router with a USB port for $20 not long ago,
mainly because it supports DDWRT.  To me the big advantage is that I can
use it as a low-power, general-purpose ARM computer, but you could do all
kinds of interesting things at a lower level if you had the mind to do so.
For most people this means running OpenVPN, SSHD, and a torrent client, but
there is a lot you -could- do. :)

The biggest down side is that you can completely overwhelm a consumer
wireless router if you are using it in a busy environment.  Enterprise
routers have more memory and more testing of individual features at scale,
although for a handful of clients DDWRT is as good as.

If you are looking for fancy wired routing functionality, Quagga (or even
Zebra) is a good choice.  Wired routing is a very stable field, people
never update their core routers if they are working, so a five year old
project isn't that antiquated. :)

IPtables is serviceable for a basic switch, although you won't get wire
speed over very many ports from a general purpose computer - software
switching is limited by the processor, and very power-inefficient.  You
would do better to use a PC as a router and use VLANs with a cheap switch
instead.  In fact the switch embedded in my DDWRT router supports VLANs so
I could theoretically do all this onboard - but I only have one router
running so OSPF isn't that interesting. :)

Best,
Tim