On Jan 21, 2014 5:36 PM, "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
wrote:

> But they don't say which half, either.  It can't be the top half, so it
must be somewhere below the top 85 people, and probably below the top few
million at least.

Has to be the bottom half.  If it was half in the middle then they'd drop
out the bottom and say 60% or whatever.  It is a marketing study for Oxfam
(if I can believe that part of the article) so higher numbers are better.

I am not surprised that X of the wealthiest people in the world have more
resources than Y% at the bottom, that is just definition.  I could conceive
of a series of shocking headlines based on these numbers, and X=85 and Y=50
don't seem unbelievable - but then, if you told me X=1 and Y=90 I don't
have any reason to disbelieve that, either.

I'm just observing that, at least in this report, the headline is not
supported by the text, so my inclination is to doubt the accuracy of the
rest of the writeup.  Maybe if I get stuck waiting for something tomorrow
I'll see if I can dig up the original report, which presumably won't make
this kind of simple error.

Best,
Tim
Especially hates when reports mix up wealth and income, not that it applies
here.