They have circuitry to keep the temperature (or resistance) of the hot wire at a certain level with more current as the air flows past, and all that correlates to how much heat is being removed by the airflow (science!), which correlates to the speed of the air flow (the "wind chill," sorta). There is some aspect to do with the temperature of the airflow, I forget what it is.

Back in college in my NASA summer internships we had those in the hypersonic wind tunnels to measure the airspeed, and I think in the other wind tunnels in general. That is a great deal on that instrument.

--R