The 112, with the rounded over fins are beautiful cars. The 110/111 fins may not be endearing, but ahead of the fins, they are a beautiful car. If you don't mind the fins, the rear view of a 220S/230S/SE is very attractive. The early 110s with the trapezoidal tail lights look like they are winking at you. The 200/200D/230 tail lights make a good looking rear view.

While the 108/114 models were stylish in a very reserved way, I think, the 110/111/112 models had what I consider "understated elegance".

Looking at the fins and the sweep of the roof, I don't perceive the 110/111/112 as being "boxy".

Dan