One of those families was my customer.

Working around these guys was like being with the mob. Everyone treated them
with reverence almost.

They owned the largest ferreteria in the country. Made Sam's Club look like a
corner drugstore in comparison.  In the middle of the main selling floor the
old man (grandfather) sat at a desk on a dais. All the salespeople had these
receipt books where they wrote up your order, even if it was something in plain
sight on the shelf. When they finished, they ran over to the dais and presented
their book to the old man. He would take the big Dominican (and occasionally
Cuban) cigar out of his mouth, look down and initial the receipt.

Then, and only then could you check out and pay for your things.

Only place I ever got the trots, too. Dummy me - I was at the customer's house
one day and had a Coke with ice in it. Got dysentery from the ice. Hell of a
weight loss program - I lost 15 pounds over the next week or two, and was lucky
to get the company doctor to treat me. He kept telling me that the cure was as
bad as the disease. Not so.

Dan when I fart it echoes

Sent from my iPad