Yes Mark at Sun Valley implied as much; he said it is much less work to rebuild a working/functional Mercedes transmission than one that is not working. He said the original Mercedes clutches are pretty high quality but that something called the "bands" tend to get out of adjustment causing the clutches to not engage fully, or conversely on the 1-2 hard shift to engage too completely. I know little about all this but thought I would share what I was told by the Oracle of Ventura.

Karl

Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net> wrote:
The only real problem with overhauling a Benz tranny is that they are usually far more worn than a US one by the time they need work. In a Ford, Dodge, or GM automatic of the years I worked on them (70's to 90's) usually only wear parts needed replacement, and if you put in a bronze center bushing and roller bearings instead of plastic parts on a Turbo 350 they would last forever. Sadly, by the time the clutches are worn out on a Benz, usually you have to check the thrust washers on all the planetary gears and end up replacing most of the over-running clutches and some other parts, which requires being able to set clearances and the required tools. Not rocket science, but a real pain without the proper tools. The good thing is that once you do go to all that work, the tranny will give you another 300,000 miles or so. More if you use semi- metallic clutch plates and Mobil 1 tranny juice. Peter _______________________________________ http://www.okiebenz.com To search list archives http://www.okiebenz.com/archive/ To Unsubscribe or change delivery options go to: http://mail.okiebenz.com/mailman/listinfo/mercedes_okiebenz.com