"My recollection is that water will dissolve shellac."

Not too sure about this, but if it does, it's slow.  Potters use shellac to
draw designs on green pots, then wash with water for relief texture.

Of course they then put em in kilns at 2200F or so.. and that works just fine
to 'disolve' the shellac... (c: