No matter how bad it may get all around you - weather, missiles, traffic, children, SWMBO digging fingernails into inner thigh demanding an immediate landing - one must continue to fly the airplane (aviate-drive/control the car).

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "OK Don" <okd...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - video of accident whilst sexting

There is a phrase in aviation: "aviate, navigate, communicate". It means
that this is the order of importance:
1) "Aviate" - fly the aircraft (driving - drive the car)
2) "Navigate" - know where you are and where you are going (driving - same
thing)
3) "Communicate" - talk to the controller and weather people (driving -
talking at all)
You only do the #3 when you are not being challenged by #'s 1 & 2.

There is also the concept of the "sterile cockpit" at critical times
(landing) that forbids none task related communication among crew members
and passengers (in small craft). I can relate this to having to tell the
kids to shut up when I was negotiating unknown highway interchanges at 70
mph (113 KMH for Hendrik) in rush hour.

While you are moving in three dimensions, the weather is more of a
challenge, and you are generally faster in an aircraft than a car, the car
is closer to the ground and other hard objects most of the time.