I have my granddaddy's 72 Datsun wagon sitting in storage, complete in generally good condition except for the sitting in the barn and mice and such. In researching it I found an active group who converted these things to electric using forklift motors and battery packs in the floor, mostly lead-acid marine batteries. The whole deal looked fairly straightforward and not too expensive except for the controller that was a bit pricey. The ranges were fairly short but probably enough for around-town errands. I see Smart cars around now and then, have wondered if those things would be a good platform for a hybrid or battery setup. Saw a Nissan Leaf yesterday, which aside from being fairly ugly, was quite small.

--R

On 3/21/14 9:24 AM, Curt Raymond wrote:
If I had a big garage I'd build one. A small pickup truck, load the bed with
batteries. Could probably do it for $5k including the truck, maybe get a little
back for a working engine. That or look for a mk1 Jetta but those are hard to
find not all rusted out.

-Curt

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:03:13 -0400
From: Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] People are generally holding on

As I have said previously, I have an ideal commute for an electric car, but as
many different ways as I could crunch the numbers it just didn't make sense
from a financial point of view.

I'm all for being green, but if it's going to cost me more and I'm going to
have to sacrifice things as well, I just don't see the motivation.

When electric or hybrid cars become competitively priced and are economical to
operate, I'm on board.

Dan