ü=Alt+0252 on the number pad. Hold Alt and type "0252" on the number pad.

_So_ much more intuitive than Apple's nasty option-u prefix to any
umlautable vowel.  Ditto the other common accent marks, from memory
the optioned `, n, e, and i which yield è, ñ, é, and î when you tack
them on likely candidates.  (The option is attached to their most
common associated letter for ease of memorization.)

I never understood why the PC never came up with a decent input
method rather than (effectively) memorization of the font's glyph
map.  Both these input methods date from the 80's, but I know which
one I'd rather use.

Let the wars begin!

-- Jim