On 1/14/06, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alex Chamberlain wrote:
> > Adopted, yes.  Adopted correctly, no.  Microsoft's user-interface
> > bozos were too stupid to realize that the "command" or "open apple"
> > key on the Mac and Apple II was not the same as the "control" key but
> > had a different function entirely.  Since "control" already had a
> > recognized function---sending commands to control a remote system in
> > terminal emulation, hence the name---they should have used a different
> > key.
>
> It took Apple a while, too.  Early Mac keyboards had no control key,
> forcing hacks like using the Option key instead in terminal software.

Or they'd make ctrl-C, ctrl-Z, etc. into menu commands.  I remember
that.  I used MacTerminal to get on BBSs with my Mac Plus back in the
day.  But I don't see that as nearly as big a problem as the Windows
situation.  There was no use for the Option key when using the machine
as a dumb terminal, and since its normal Mac use was to create special
characters, there was already a little bit of ergonomic precedent for
its subsitution for Control.