"Make a mark on a (graduated) test tube about 2 inches from the bottom and fill it with the gasoline to be tested. Top the test tube with water, shake it and allow to stand. If the gasoline contains ethanol, the level of the solution will rise, as ethanol is absorbed by water. This would prove the presence of ethanol in the gasoline."
http://www.rocketswag.com/car/Ethanol/How-To-Test-For-Presence-Of-Ethanol.html

Amoco white gas used to be the best gasoline since it was nearly pure octane and needed no lead or other additives. It was costly to refine and the price reflected that cost. Not sure if Amoco premium is still "white gas" since blue color has been added. Nevertheless, it works well in my small engines and there is no residue at the beginning of the next season.
Unfortunately there is no longer any available locally.
Gerry