On 30/04/2014 5:28 PM, Fmiser wrote:
Rich Thomas wrote:

Deck screws if you must
Curt wrote:

I've been using "Scorpion" brand square drive deck screws, way
better than trying to drive phillips head...
I much prefer Torx over square, hex, or phillips when dealing with
high torque.  Much more of the torque goes into turning the screw
rather than spreading the head like square (Robertson) or hex
(Allen).  And it doesn't require axial pressure to retain
engagement like phillips.

For the curious, an extensive list of drives is on wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillips_screw

--   Philip, unrelated to the screw drive

Menards certainly has an extensive assortment of screws. I do like some of the specialty ones intended for serious wood building. Available in quite long sizes, big self drilling threads, big heads with built in washers, and the torque drive too, if I recall correctly. Not all that expensive either.

I have not used many of these to date but I sometimes look at them and think, boy, I should buy some of those to have on hand.

Randy