My house is roughly 1/4 mile from a small river that leads to the bay and
ultimately the Gulf. While it is a small tributary, in the event of a major
hurricane the storm surge could push a significant amount of water inland.

With this in mind, before we agreed to purchase our house we looked at the FEMA
flood maps. Lo and behold, our house shows up right on the edge in a flood zone
(AE, 100 year flood). Not good, we say, no deal.

The owner tells us that they have never been required to purchase flood
insurance. Strange. We contact our insurer and ask them to check it out with
their underwriters. Insurance company comes back and says "You're  good, no
flood insurance required."

Hmm.

Note that our property is built on fill that raised the original elevation a
good 10 feet or more from the baseline flood elevation of 29 feet, and at the
south end of the property there is what is referred to as a "sea wall" to
contain the fill. From the top of this wall, which is at ground level for my
property, it's a good four to five feet down to the original elevation.

Looking at current USGS topo maps and FEMA flood maps, there is nothing that
indicates the presence of the fill or sea wall.

So I am thinking about this disparity in the records and wondering how I can
get it corrected. I can file a LOMA with FEMA to get the change made, but that
requires a survey with an elevation certificate.

So the other day it occurs to me that I work right next to our GIS guys, so I
go over and talk to them. They point me at our flood zone person down in Real
Estate. I talk to her.

Within minutes she comes back with a LOMA that was filed when the property was
developed back in 1998 that exempts my house along with three others from the
flood zone. ?????

I asked why the maps, while were redone in 2008, don't reflect the development
or change in elevation, as any citizen who looked up our property would
immediately assume it is in a flood zone?

"Oh, they never change the maps, I don't know why. They just issue LOMAs if the
property is reclassified."

<head slap>

How's that for bureaucracy?

Dan above the waterline Man