My wife did a coupla months rotation at "The Manch" the VA hospital in Manchester, NH, like 20 yr ago. It was known then as a total disaster, and all the residents dreaded going there both because of the bureaucracy, conditions, tattoo/tooth ratio of the staff, and everything else plus it was in New Hamster (Live Free and Die!). A coupla weeks ago she posted this on her FB page and got a lot of colleagues who agreed totally.

       I find it bizarre that the media are apoplectic about "delays
       scheduling" in the VA system, and trying to turn it into the
       next Washington scandal. Where have these people been? Ask any
       medical student or resident who ever rotated through the VA and
       they will tell you it is an absolutely terrible system,
       inefficient, poor quality care, mediocre at best. VA system is
       interviewed with a 9 to 3 work ethic, there's no incentive to do
       anything better than it was done 40 years ago. In fact
       innovation, improvement are generally discouraged. The VA
       facilities are old, dirty, smell bad and the systems are
       ancient. The only good thing I can say about having spent many
       many months in various VA hospitals, is the spectrum of
       pathology is amazing and the vets themselves are even more
       amazing. The VA system and work ethic are old, inefficient, not
       patient centric and out of date. If you want to improve medical
       care for our vets, dissolve the VA system and incorporate them
       into mainstream medical care.

The main driver seems to be the federal union mindset among the support staff, who can't be disciplined, fired, transferred, or basically made to do their jobs like anyone in the private sector would be expected to do. The docs and nurses have other motivations and strive within the system, but there is only so much they can do. Your tax dollars at work (??). BTW Milt, those staffers slept just fine, and came back refreshed to do it again the next day.

YMMV.

--R