Today my starter has failed to turn for two out of six starts.  The first
time I heard nothing over the noise of the HVAC fan, second time I shut off
the fan and could clearly hear a "thunk" but no turnee.  Cycling the key
did eventually convince the starter to turn.

This last Saturday, when I met Rich downtown to see the 500 SEC that was
supposedly for sale but sold moments before we arrived, my car ended up in
deep water (streets flooding due to torrential downpour).

Rich - how deep was it?  I think the water was at least up to the mid-point
of my front bumper as we drove out.  The water did get into my car, had to
remove seats / carpet and vacuum out a few gallons, stinky stuff and I did
see one wiggling creature in the soup.  I think it was either a leach or a
small earthworm.

So, I suspect the starter (and many other engine parts low-down) were
either submerged or probably got very wet.

And of course the two-year warranty on the starter expired in May...

-Max (drier but maybe about to be poorer)