Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net> writes:

>> Several people I know are now just putting their stuff on github
>> pages[1].
>
> Looks like it requires system resources that I do not have,
> and do not intend to procure.  I am _very_ much against the
> widespread attitude that machines older than a couple of years
> should not be supported.  My feeble little pages work(ed) on
> any browser ever made, and were maintained with emacs and ftp,
> tools that pre-date the web itself.  (As do I!)  Not flashy,
> but functional.

I'm right there with you. My newest computer is from 2007, a salvage
item, running OpenBSD. Other one is a G4 MacBook still chugging along.

Perhaps I'm missing something on the requirements. You mean the
requirements to use git (very minimal, install the command-line utility;
you don't need the fancy GUI tools) or the requirements to actually view
the github pages (may require JavaScript and a current browser, as many
"blog" type sites now do, but I don't think this is the case. I haven't
verified that though).

Alternatively you can provision a small virtual server on something like
DigitalOcean for $5/month, install Apache or NGINX and serve static HTML
from there.

Allan