Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 07:16:12 -0700
From: Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: file server

> Processor speed stalled in about 2008, it's impossible to air-cool
> silicon over about 3GHz, and the memory access bottleneck hasn't
> changed a bit, either.

What's more, when your system demands 10x the electrical power
to get 2x the speed, and as prices of electricity continue to
escalate, people will start to notice!

I have.  I'm trying to put together a free G4 tower mac as a backup
server, even though we have a spare G5 that would do it much easier,
because it draws about 40W versus the 250W or so of the G5.

The rampant inefficiency of current software is truly disgusting,
especially to a guy that knows what the raw hardware is capable of.
My now-ancient Pismo laptop is capable of running several full-screen
movies at once, horsepower-wise, yet it cannot surf basic web sites
anymore.

-- Jim