Isn't one of the design "features" of the safeties called a
strong-link/weak-link system?

My (limited) understanding is that the "strong link" must be actuated to enable
operation of the device, but that the actuation mechanism/electronics are
designed so that they will break and prevent operation at lower levels of
stress (the "weak link" portion) than are required to make the "strong link"
actuate improperly...

That motor-driven drum switch didn't operate. To me, that sounds like the
system worked as designed. (And therefore, there was no danger...)

The underlying logic of multiple safeties is different than a pistol that has a
magazine disconnect or a shotgun with a trigger disconnector.

 Operation can only occur if /all/ of the proper steps are taken /in the proper
sequence/.

(Try slam-firing a pump shotgun with a trigger disconnector... It will only
fire if the trigger is pulled after you've pumped it... Now imagine having a
shotgun that is designed so that the trigger mechanism is BROKEN when someone
tries to slam-fire it... and that the broken parts were so buried in the
mechanism that the thing had to be shipped back to the manufacturer for a major
overhaul to replace them.)

--
John W Reames
jream...@verizon.net