This SOP for industrial engines.  You sample on a regular basis, after a few
samples you have a baseline and then you just compare each new one to determine
if there is excessive or unusual wear in a particular area.

Same thing for hydraulic fluids.

Your Cat buddies are watching for changes in the chemical and metal levels in
the oil to see how the engine is wearing.  They'll also look at the oil
condition as well.  You can pretty well estimate when you need specific
services on the engine based on changes in the levels of certain metals.

That's how they'll decide to do valve jobs, replace bearings, etc.  We;re
talking about engines with thousands of hours on them. too.  This is in lieu of
using a chronological framework to establish maintenance levels.  Over the long
term it makes a lot of sense and is the least expensive way to maintain things.
 It also allows them to anticipate certain maintenance jobs as well.

Dan