Timing belts is the reason I don't like a number of cars with interference engines, and the reason I do like the Prius' which all have timing chains.
Gerry

On 8/12/2014 12:54 PM, Randy Bennell via Mercedes wrote:

Good thing that you did the timing belt.
My son's shop has a Golf TDI in right now for work.
The owner blew the belt and damaged the engine which of course is an interference engine.
They pulled the engine and sent it out for work.
Now it is back and back in the car and they have not been able to get it to run.
My son is not working on it. One of the other fellows is.
My son says it has compression until the oil pressure comes up and then it loses compression. They suspect that it does not have the right lifters in it and that when the oil pressure pumps up, the lifters are holding valves open. If so, a problem created by the engine builders but downloaded onto the poor mechanics who re-installed it and are now trying to diagnose what is wrong.

Randy

 On 12/08/2014 11:38 AM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
I bet I don't have more than $2500 in it, $300 is tires and another $400 for timing belt/water pump which is just maintenance...

-Curt

________________________________
  From: Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>; Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Sacrilege

Randy Bennell via Mercedes wrote:

42 mpg does not sound all that marvelous.
Curt is doing better with his Jetta.
And Curt didn't put $2000 down when he bought the Jetta, although I think he has
more than $2k in it now.

At the very least, when mentioning lease payments you need to amortize the upfront cost. $278/mo for 36 months plus $2k up front is really $334 a month. On a 24 month lease it's $361. If you total the car during the first month, it's
only $2278 per month.

Mitch.

All posts are the result of individual contributors and as such, those individuals are responsible for the content of the post. The list owner has no control over the content of the messages of each contributor.