Friend in Frisco Bay area bought a Leaf for his wife to drive to work. There were no charging stations in her work area but under county law, electric vehicles could drive in the inside "bus" lane which let her avoid the stop and go of morning and evening traffic, and she could make it to work and back home on one charge. A few months after he bought the Leaf, the county decided to bar electric cars from the inside lane and she had to drive in the right stop and go lanes. The second time she ran out of electric and had to be towed home by a wrecker they switched cars and now she drives their Prius and he drives the Leaf locally. The last time I asked, they were still waiting for her employer to install a charging station where his wife works.
It might be long wait since she works for the cash strapped county.

They thought about buying a "battery trailer" that is towed behind and extends the Leafs range, but the numbers didn't add up.
 Here's a European battery trailer:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079294_forget-better-place-hook-your-electric-car-to-a-battery-trailer