Andrew Strasfogel wrote:
I thought that the braking action regerated the batteries.  WTF?

There are friction brakes too. AFAIK, a Prius has an adjustment for how hard you want it to slow down when you lift off the go pedal. Hit the stop pedal and you engage the friction brakes. I believe a Tesla regenerates when you hit the stop pedal and engages the brakes when you push the stop pedal further.

Not sure about a Leaf, but any EV or hybrid will have a limit to 'engine braking' and if you decelerate harder than that you're using the service brakes to turn kinetic energy into heat.

Mitch.