Right you are -- the fan is driven by the backside of the belt. Thanks for the explanation --

Larry

On 8/13/2014 9:52 AM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes wrote:
LarryT via Mercedes wrote:

actually I thought I had found one at the PnP but I discovered the fan blades were reversed on the one I brought home. I guess that 300SD (IIRC) runs in the opposite direction! I am always amazed at the choices designers make. Why have one engine run in one direction and another engine run in the opposite direction? Hmmm....

One engine, probably yours, runs the fan off the back of the belt, which makes it run the opposite direction from the engine. Commonplace with serpentine belts for low load pulleys like tensioners and water pumps. With v-belts, even the tensioner pulley usually runs on the inside surface of the belt.

Mitch.

All posts are the result of individual contributors and as such, those individuals are responsible for the content of the post. The list owner has no control over the content of the messages of each contributor.