Larry,

The U.S. Navy has run nuclear reactors on submarines and other warships for
decades, accident free.  Not easy to translate that success to a civilian
agency, and certainly not nearly as cost-efficient as private industry.

My point is that nuclear power can be done safely and provide clean
electrical power at very competitive costs, but in our country the debate
has been completely subverted by hysterics and fear-mongers.  Even at
Fukishima, the second most serious nuclear accident to date, there were
zero deaths from radiation.  A hand-full of workers received very high
radiation doses, and another hundred or so are at increased risk for
cancer.  Two or three died from physical trauma from the tsunami, not from
radiation.  The tsunami which caused that accident is a once-in-a-thousand
years event (and the tsunami itself killed over 10,000 people).  The
Fukishima site had been identified as requiring additional tsunami
counter-measures, but the regulatory agency and the site operator had not
decided to implement those counter-measures when the tsunami struck.  In
other words, keeping a little perspective, the natural disaster caused over
10,000 deaths, and it also made a mess of the nuclear reactors.  The
nuclear reactors will take time and lots of money to clean up, but those
10,000+ dead can never be brought back.

The article that Gerry linked to the Tampa issue, again no one has died,
just a big mess to clean up at great expense.  Clearly the decision-makers
and CEO of that plant need to all be fired, and I think the investors need
to pay for the repairs, but again let's keep some perspective: No one has
died from radiation.  Fear-mongering about nuclear power by the
enviro-wackos will only cause MORE people to die early from inhaling the
radioactive particles spewed into the air by our coal power-plants.

-Max