 From: Randy Bennell via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>; Mercedes Discussion
List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Testing Prius

Saw one along the road the other day with the hood up.

Don't think I want one. Have had 3 Toyotas over time and cannot say any
of them left a lasting good impression. Not anxious to do that again.
A new Honda Civic is probably a better deal than a Prius and an Accord
an even better answer.

I like the photos of Dan's new MB but I don't know that I want one with
mileage that high.

I like the MB with the oval headlights - about a 97 E300?

However, at that age, most will also have high miles.

I might be dreaming but I doubt my 76 300D has gone around more than once.
I know some of its history and it would appear that it has spent a lot
of time not being used much.
For my own example, I have driven it about 13 or 14K miles since July of
2005 when I bought it. That works out to an average of about 1500 miles
per year.

I have told this story before but it goes like this:

An MD bought it new in Winnipeg from the dealer and kept it a long while.
I don't have his name but I have some of the original documentation
showing trips to the dealer for oil changes etc up to about 80K miles or so.
I am assuming he drove it in the winter when it was new but got to where
he did not but I could be mistaken on that. Someone likely did try to
use it in the winter as the spare tire is a winter radial.
His barber lived in a condo or apartment with underground parking and
the MD started parking it at the barber's place for the winter.
The barber ultimately bought it and he kept it a long while.
The fellow I bought it from acquired it from the barber and had it
re-painted.
  He did not use it much as he lived in a condo and had no parking for
it at home. He kept it at his shop and drove it occasionally in summer.
I got it in July 2005 at which time it showed 990 miles on the odometer.
I have had to do nothing to it since I got it apart from changing oil
annually and having the front seats re-padded.

So, it is impossible really to tell, but I really wonder if it is only
115K miles or if it has more.

I don't have any experience with high mileage MB's so nothing to compare
it to but it certainly seems tight. My experience with most other brands
of vehicles at higher mileage is that it usually feels somewhat worn.

How is that for going off on a tangent?

RB