On 15/09/2014 12:11 PM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes wrote:
Randy Bennell via Mercedes wrote:
I suspect that a side slide into a pole like that at high speed would be lethal in just about any vehicle. A few years back, I saw a Ford Aerostar van in a junk yard that had taken a hard hit on the passenger side just behind the front door. I have no idea what it hit or what hit it, but I was surprised by the damage. The intrusion went almost all of the way to the other side of the van. I would not have wanted to be a passenger in the back part of the vehicle.

RB

Somebody here took a E350 work van full of tools in the driver's door of his W124 300D at a claimed 50-60mph without injury other than from shattered glass. IIRC the left side of the dash was messed up too badly to shut the engine off without going under the hood to hit the shutoff lever on the IP.

Mitch.

I suspect it helped that the 300D was not fixed and moved with the van. In the photo of the old crash, you will note that the pole did not appear to move at all.

RB