That was an experimental system that was only installed once, I think. I'd imagine that it was almost impossible to keep the track on the gear at take-off speeds!

The eventual replacement was the first four-wheel bogey that was then used until they retired the B-36.

If you have not been to the Air Force Museum at Dayton, Ohio, stop in if you get a chance. The original hanger was built to house the B-36 that is on display, it was by far the largest aircraft around at the time. Freaking monster. Those six R4360 turbo radials (that's 4360 cubic inch by the way) managed to shove the beast through the air at a stunning 375 mph at maxiumum range full bomb load over target -- they were slower until they burned off enough fuel to get over 15,000 ft.

The bomb bay can hold an object something like 12 ft in diameter and 80 ft long -- the original H-bomb was projected to be about this large. I don't think one was ever air dropped though. At any rate it will hold six medium sized sedans.

And every single piece of aluminum skin is wrinkled. Must have vibrated something terrible.

Also prone to catastrophic engine fires, poor high altitude performance, high fuel consumption, and barely functional gun systems (the same ones that didn't work very well in the B-29 that my father worked on during his time in Kansas making the B-29 reliable enough to send overseas).

The guns were eventually removed and much of the skin was replaced with thinner magnesium alloy (I think, something lighter and stronger than the aluminum) and the four jets were added to boost the over target speed and range.

Chance-Vought did produce a single swept wing fully jet powered version as a replacement, but the Boeing design that became the B-52 was lighter, faster, carried more bomb weight, had a longer range, and used much less fuel. Uncharacteristically, the Air Force bought the better plane and the B-36 was retired.

Peter