The tricks people played on the early telephones were usually harmless and
entertaining.
Back when people got the first party lines with the crank ringers, a favorite
joke was to tell a new subscriber not to use his phone on a particular day
because they were blowing out the lines.
When the day came, an old retired farmer put a paper sack over the mouthpiece,
and every time someone would ring the phone, he'd lift the receiver and shout,
"My God don't use the phone today they're blowing out the lines.", and slam the
receiver down.
It took him a while to live it down.

My old Aunt Ninny (Nina) was a joker.  One day when she was visiting, a local
Romeo called for one of many times and asked for my young sister who didn't
like  him but would still talk to him when he called.
Aunt Ninny answered one day when he called and asked for my sister.  Aunt Ninny
said, "She's not here, my names Ninny, won't I do?"  She had a very young
voice, so the eager letcher got into a long conversation with her that
culminated in their making a date to meet at the "frozen custard" drive-up that
was miles from our home.  Ninny, of course, never showed up for the date; and
the letcher never called my sister again.

People are very serious nowadays compared to the way they were in the 1930s.
Practical jokes were very popular back then.
Unpopular high school teachers could almost count on having limburger cheese
rubbed on the door knob to their classrooms or their chair.  I haven't seen
limburger or liederdranz soft-ripening cheeses in store for years. They were
both very "smelly".
Gerry