Gary,
     I tried the Mobil synthetic in the late 90s and early 2000s and it caused
front/rear main seal leaks on my vehicles.  I'm a 3K oil changer with new
filter.  Personally, I don't think the stories are "preposterous" because I've
personally seen the results on the 4 vehicles I own (1980 300SD - 430,000
miles, 1983 300D - 360,000 miles, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 - 180,000, and a 2008
Ford Escape V-6 with 133,000 miles).  I use Mobil Delvac dino in the two 617s
(18 years now and counting), Valvoline Max in the Dodge, and Mobil 1 synthetic
in the Ford, which has started to leak from the valve cover gaskets.  As I've
told other "believers", if something works for you, then don't change
regardless of anyone else's opinion, including mine.
Best Wishes,
Roger
Roger Hale
Dinnerware Classics, Inc.