On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If a tape had previously jammed I doubt the cassette would engage/eject,
> play in fw/reverse, and FF and RW to memory.  Peraps I just need to run a
> cassette head cleaner?

Hard to say, usually the head doesn't engage (and certainly doesn't -need-
to engage!) when FF/RW - those only depend on the tape lowering into the
tray.  If someone pushed the head back, it could be pushing back too far
and not touching the tape, or they could have popped the mechanism that
pushes it back and forth.

But it plays in FF/RW (I assume you mean when the play button is pressed at
the same time)?  If so then the mechanical is not the problem, which is
great!  Could be a wiring issue, or a loose solder joint, or something much
easier to troubleshoot without having to dismantle the whole thing.  And
yes, I would try a head cleaning or few first, but only because I have a
head cleaning tape already.

Best,
Tim