My wife and I used CB radios on several coast-to-coast military moves back
in the day (driving 2 cars).  I usually just used one of those magnetic roof
(or trunk) temporary mount whip antennas and ran the fire over a thick spot
in the door seal.  Even hand-held radios worked OK with a decent antenna. I
never had a need or desire to mount one permanently in a car.  These days,
cell phones would do the job in most places for just two vehicles but CB
would be handy for more.