At the risk of being excommunicated from this August Group, I respectfully
submit the following thoughts.

Apples and Oranges logic.  Hanoi only desired to rule Vietnam. The under
laying principle which pervades the Mid-East is Islam, which desires to
rule the entire world under an Islamic Caliphate. Failure to understand
that pillar of the dominate thought of the area leads other civilized
nations to only look at local issues. Their rule of engagement is "convert
or die". If any doubt exists in the historical practice, I invite the
doubter to look at the history of Islam invasion of India [80,000,000
killed] Persia, Afghanistan, Turkey, etc etc.. all the scene of hundreds of
thousands of dead at the hands of the "convert of die" invading armies. Now
ISIS continues those practices.. and others.

B 52 Linebacker style  tactics would not apply against this style of
conquest.

The English, who spent some 200 years trying to quell the area, ultimately
gave up and went home. There is however a quote of English commander which
likely does still apply. "If a Muhammedian tells you the sun rises in the
East, put your back to the wall, draw your knife, and face West while you
wait for his attack"... seems to about sum it up..

To those whom this offends, truth requires no apology,

Respectfully,

Grant...