Despite the fact that I "almost"** always open the car door for my wife and wait until she is seated and then close the door for her, I have noticed that neither of my sons does this for their respective wives. It seems such a minimal courtesy that I do it without really even thinking about it. It is like holding a door open for a woman and letting her go through first. It is just the way things are done. Maybe younger women want to be treated as an "equal", and do not want the door opened for them? I have not pursued the issue as my wife tells me to mind my own business.

However, I am often somewhat surprised that women, and especially younger women, will go through a door when I am right there behind them and just let the door swing shut in my face. I would hold the door open for another man pretty much as I would for a woman so it still amazes me that some people, and it seems, especially younger women, seem totally oblivious to those around them.

** I say "almost" as I sometimes do not do it if it is her car and she is the driver. She will hit the door remote to unlock and be around the car and into it before I can catch up. If it is my vehicle and I have the keys then it is a bit easier to control. She is always in a hurry!

RB