Oh wise list members. Perhaps one of you can identify an electronic component for me.

The fence charger has failed that protects my vegetable garden from deer. The charger is a Parmak S.E.3 of the 110 volt type. I found one of its two 1 amp fuses bad, as has happened over the years when lightening strikes nearby. But a new fuse didn't fix it this time.

Everything looks good inside except, as shown in the attached photograph, a small dull red pill apparently overheated. It is in line from the recently blown fuse to a transformer. It is attached in the circuit via a plastic block of four set screws that clamp rather than solder the wires together and all was covered by a plastic sheath. When I took out the pill it fell apart. It is marked R270 and below that, CM 56. Does anyone know what this item might be?

Parmak is one of these outfits that won't publish a schematic: they would rather you ship it back to them in Kansas City. The youth at Radio Shack who looked at the red pill could not identify it. A call to a local electronics repair place said they would look at it for a minimum $40 fee. Good Lord.

A new charger of like power is about $150. A beer and some fresh sweetcorn next year to anyone who can help. Oh and the deer hunting here is good.

     Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

     The best fun follows a duty done.