> David wrote:
>
>       Oh wise list members.  Perhaps one of you can identify an
> electronic component for me.
>
>       Everything looks good inside except, as shown in the
> attached photograph, a small dull red pill apparently
> overheated.  It is in line from the recently blown fuse to a
> transformer.  It is attached in the circuit via a plastic block
> of four set screws that clamp rather than solder the wires
> together and all was covered by a plastic sheath.  When I took
> out the pill it fell apart.  It is marked R270 and below that, CM
> 56.  Does anyone know what this item might be?

Almost certain that is a capacitor.

The tan-ish/yellow-ish ones look much more like an MOV.

Another BIG clue is how it's wired.  You said "in line with the
fuse and transformer".  Series?  Parallel?

Attached is a quick sketch showing the difference.

R270 could mean a 27 pico farad, 15%  capacitor.  I can't come up
with a good reason why there would be one before the transformer...

If it's an MOV (which I expect it is NOT), it will have to be in
parallel.

--  Philip