On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> For my purposes (ie the PI living at camp as a security monitoring system)
> I don't need much for

I love to DIY, but around here game cameras go on sale after deer season
for very low prices. They basically capture photos on a schedule and
usually with an IR "flash", some are motion sensing also and will take
video or at least MJPEG.  A few years back I got one with a lock, and the
screws and SD card were stored under the waterproof cover,and used it to
monitor the shed.  I figured it would only be useful for reporting a theft
anyway, I put it opposite the door so I'd get a good shot of anyone coming
in.  If you have a clear trail you could probably capture the road and get
the people coming in and their license going out.

I'm not sure you could get months out of a single SD card, but it might be
easier than starting from nothing.  There may be some that use cell data or
wifi though I've never actually looked.

It doesn't have the fun factor, but you also don't run the risk of scaring
a trespasser or thief into a heart attack, and your odds of the culprit not
noticing and pilfering the equipment are probably higher...

Best,
Tim