Larry, when you say "controller" you mean the push button module, right?

On that system, the actual controller is separate from
the pushbutton module.  Every PBU I've had has had problems,
but I've never had a controller go bad.  The PBU just selects
functions, and gates the signals for the mode you are in.

The later systems, without the translucent "Auto" speed
button bar, are entirely integrated into the PBU.

-- Jim