And if you buy a good piece of real estate it will appreciate in value and resist recessions and real estate market crashes. I have never bought a piece of property that is worth less than I payed.

It happens.   There is a lot of real estate that stays stagnant.

The house I built in 1980, (3500 sq ft on 1.5 acre) I was told in 1988, that I'd be lucky to get 60K out of it and have to pay the real estate agent and fees out of that. ($2,000/yr in taxes)

Lotsa people lost money on RE after Obummer was elected and the economy melted down.