This exact thing happened to me back in 2005. Overheated on the nj turnpike
with my sailboat on the roof. Pulled over and v low coolant! No visible
leaks. Did it at long intervals until monovalve was replaced. Head seemed
to survive but one could easily have cooked it on the freeway listening to
radio for hours.