Harry Watkins wrote:
My wagon has three phases and no warning of which is on duty.
On an 80 mile trip the other day, nothing would make it work as I tried
numerous times/things.  Next time it works after fiddling with it.  Yesterday
on the out trip, it engaged like a new one, lasted about four miles, disengaged
and quit.  Coming back trip, it worked like a new one all the way with calling
for it about four times.

The return spring for the pedal seems pretty stiff to me and I wondered if that
could be a cause.

Where should I start looking?

The problem is almost always poor solder connections - usually inside the amplifier.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi