I am going to revive an old topic. I tried loading the latest ubuntu on a P4 box, and it choked for 2 reasons. 14.04 requires a dvd, and no player on the old box. So I put in a dvd. Then the installer sez the machine video won't support 14.04. I though one major selling point was that it did not require the latest hardware? It keeps wanting to install 14.04.... i didn't see any way to reject that install other than cancelling the popup each time, and that is too much to expect of an average user. Someone will start the install, and probably crash the OS.

So I get out the CD I made in 11-2013, whatever version that is. It installs and runs, but there is a big lag. I was able to get the old windows files off the machine so that I can wipe the drive. Windows XP choked for some reason. it won't start up. Has been maybe 12-18 months since it was a clean install, and it was not used heavily or abused that I can tell.

Is there a better linux to use for RDP connections to a terminal server (2003 or 2008 winders)? I am thinking the lag is because it installed with winders, and did not make a separate partition as red hat used to.

I anticipate the main use to be to connect to a server via RDP. But some Libre office applications may be run locally.

While on the RDP subject: Can I install VNC everywhere and avoid the terminal Server per seat licensing? Will it be a huge security risk to run VNC?

TIA

Machines are mostly Dell optiplex 260 to 280, but I have 3 dell precision 360s from about the same vintage that will end up as ubuntu or whatever because the digital video cards are not supported by lose7 (winders) or ubuntu 14.04 and M$ has pretty well sabotaged XP to make it unusable.

<rant> Right now, I think there is a huge market for a good XP replacement. Everyplace I look, people are still running XP, with good reason. Wissta was a virus, 7 is no improvement, and 8 is close to Wissta. The diabolical bas*tads disable the working stuff so they can extort more money out of everyone. The only reason the precision 360 video cards, (one is a quattro FX) high end stuff at the time, don't work is simply because M$ and nvidia want to force you to buy new hardware.

Winders 2000, though incomplete is still the best OS that M$ ever built. XP, is the completed 2000, except they put that stupid bubblegum interface over it, and it is a pain in the keester to always have to change the interface and start menu. I can live with clicking start to stop. </rant>

Some of the imacs are getting cheap enough that I seriously thought about buying them for the RDC clients and just dumping all the dell stuff. Much less hassle running old Macs, although they are getting bad too.