Yes, I used OpenBSD on a mac 7200.
Yes there was 100MB nubus ethernet cards, I have one in a  IIcx

Issue is you need about 300MB+ of disk space to install the operating system

Really of course your cable/asdl connection won't give you 10MB? Should confirm what your provider can do.
For example I pay extra to get upto 7 Mb download speed.

However I'll point out you can buy a 160Mhz PC from your local junk shop for on the order of $50 plus a pair of pci ethernet cards of $20. That would get you a faster firewall. Still that would cost $70 or so.

OpenBSD because their mandate is security.