The video card in my noisy HP8510w laptop

Jill's machine was (I think) an off-lease unit, one that had
worked hard anyway.  Its video card was viciously noisy.  (This
is one of the few cards for that machine that can properly drive
the 30" monitor.)  Anyway, some time ago I removed its dust-encrusted
tiny fan and put a full-sized fan from a PC on top, using a dropping
resistor to cut the current down a lot.  Yes, it now takes up the
entire expansion bay, but it's dead quiet.

Small size in fans is _not_ good!

With that and the recent re-gooping I hope that this machine is now
as quiet as it should be.

-- Jim